Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Honey Bee Blog - For Children

I'm very pleased to announce that my other bee blog, called the Bee-Magic Chronicles for Kids is now up and running.


Of course, it's about honey bees. It's a blog for enthusiasts, educators and nature lovers and it'll be geared to children. I hope it covers topics that they will find interesting.

I've been planning to have this blog all along but first needed to finish my children's novel about honey bees--I'm working on finding a literary agent who will help me to get published. Hopefully in the near future I'll have info to share on that front.


Next I had to get through my first very busy summer of keeping bees--reading back through my 2009 summer of blogging is a whirlwind of experience. Oh yes, lots happened!


This winter I'll tackle candle making, lip balm making, beauty treatments with honey, do some bee book reviews, attend some lectures if I can and paint my new hives for spring. I'll keep reading up on the beekeeping yahoo groups and any new information out there about CCD and pests. I'll also be keeping an eye out for a 4 frame stainless steel electric extractor.... know anyone selling one???? Just thought I'd ask.

And, I'm increasing in the spring from 2 hives to 4. That should end the family comment "is that all I get?" when I gave them their jars of honey last fall. I don't think 4 hives will be that much more work than 2 since I have to go to the bee yard anyway.


I love letting loose my crazy creative mind to explain bees to kids in what I hope is a fun and wacky way. That's where you can help. Can you drag your kids to the computer and force them--I mean ask them nicely--to read some of the blog?


I'd be awesome if you could ask your children, nieces and nephews or kids at heart that you know to give it a read. I'd love some feedback on it, especially from kids. Is it interesting, boring, too wordy??? Let me know! Feel free to leave your comments.


I also have a web site which you can view at Bee-Magic.com. The focus of this site is to provide information to children, educators, beekeepers, enthusiasts and future beekeepers about honey bees, pollinators and beekeeping.


I do love winter. I really do. But I sure wish spring would hurry up and get here. This time I'm not going to break my arm!

14 comments:

İlhami Uyar said...

Very nice idea,children may be learn easily some knowladge this via.I congrulate for this idea and wish succes all activities.Best wishes.

Kat said...

Thank you for providing the blog for kids. Children seem to know so little about where all that honey comes from. Let me know when your book comes out, I will buy it! I have two grands and a son that eat honey like candy!
Your are wonderful!

d said...

Blog for kids - GREAT - I'll link to it from our club blog...just thinking about you - WHAT TYPE OF BEES do the majority of you "up there" put in your boxes? ITALIANS, CARNIOLANS, ??? On average what does your club report for winter loss - % of hives? Even though i don't yet see any loss - i'm thinking about ordering two packages - (1) minnesota hygenics (1) carniolan....

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Illhami: Thanks for your comments.

Kat: I'll make sure you get a signed copy of my book to be sure!

D: Thanks for linking my kid's site. As for bees, we do have the other types but Buckfast seems to be the most preferred, probably because of wintering. We've got really good breeders here that offer hygienic queens. Losses last year were 37% which is high.
"Normal" losses before 1996 were between 15 and 25%.
You may want to consider getting some nucs from a local beekeeper in your area. They'd be aclimitized.

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Best regards

Briand Green said...

I started a small hive myself and my kids always want to go out to the hive with me, but I am afraid of them getting stung. Any tips? Know anywhere to get kid sized bee suits?

d said...

almost all the beekeeping suppliers have kid size suits...but the kids grow out of that stuff SO FAST! the primary protection you want is to keep the bees from your FACE - eyes, ears, nose, mouth! a FLEET FARM or CAMPING SUPPLY will have MOSQUITO NETTING - they can slip that on over a hat....or purchase the HOOD ONLY from the beekeeping supplier. have them wear regular loose fitting light colored clothes...or a painting jumper if you can find one small enough.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Thanks for your comments Briand. I agree with d that something for the head and face would suffice. Many spring jackets have tightly woven fabric that provides good protection (but always stay with the light colours). I prefer the straw hat with a tie down veil and I keep extras on hand for when company comes.

Unknown said...

I'm sure this site will be informative for all those who are willing to learn. I just wish it had been thought off back when I was a kid. I would have enjoyed keeping bees and harvesting honey. As of now, I'm enjoying raw and creamed honey dips for bread and biscuits. I also came across these well-thought off honey in bear bottles product.

Anyway, great site. Keep it up!

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Bart, you mentioned the bear bottles - and I vaguely recall hearing a speaker and if I remember correctly he was the one that came up with the idea for the bear bottle many years ago.
What's funny about bears and honey though is that bears like honey but what they really want is the protein offered by bee larvae.

keith said...

this is a great way to make children appreciate things in life, like bees, bee hive, and honey. great blog indeed!

fiction book for children said...

Children blogs is very special for me ,the information shared here is amazing.The focus of this site is to provide information to children, educators, beekeepers, enthusiasts and future beekeepers about honey bees, pollinators and beekeeping.

Orlando Dripp said...

there are many things that children can learn from books..bees, honey bees, honey are the things taught from school.

kids events in Austin said...

nice idea. but, i think that the kids should be informed in an easier way. i mean, if they want to know how all these honey come, we have to make things look like much easier and as well as interesting. yes, reading the blog would be very helpful for kids. but again, you have to make it suitable for them.